Composites are popular as they allow component weight to be reduced without affecting part strength. One of the driving forces is the huge potential market for low cost carbon fibres and high performance composites due to the increasing global demand for lightweight materials across many sectors. In many applications, weight reductions leads to energy savings during the service-life of the product – there is an oft-quoted statistic that every kilogram of weight saved in the manufacture of a plane reduces emissions by 1 tonne of CO₂ per year.
Specific objective of the CFPC Cluster is to build a high-level expert group on to debate on the following topics:
- Development of alternative precursors for high-performance fibres such as carbon fibres.
- Optimization of precursors characteristic to further improve carbon fibre performance properties.
- Implementation of pilot/industrial facilities capable to manufacture innovative carbon fibre and high-performance composite products.
- Focus on more efficient and sustainable raw materials and processes based on Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Cost studies.
- Development of modelling and simulation tools to provide further understanding of properties and phenomena towards the optimisation of fibre reinforced composite products and related manufacturing processes.
- Development of fibre reinforced polymer composites (FRPC) and products thereof
- Development of European research and industrial network for advanced high-performance composite products
The focus is on carbon fibres & advanced high performance composites to support upscaling and industrial exploitation, together with impact of the European economy.
In this context, the following themes are considered:
- Matrix & Modification
- Hybrid materials
- Smart structures
- Textiles & Preforming
- Surface & Interface – Functionalization
- Market, Application, SMEs, Industry
- Pilot & Upscaling
- Green & Low Cost (LCA, LCC)
A wide range of application fields including lightweight materials including composites, hybrid and functionally graded materials, composites for energy technologies (storage, conversion) and climate changes, will be discussed together with materials end-users.
By elaborating on these themes the CFPC will support horizontal actions towards:
- European Policy & Strategy
- Characterization, Modelling & Design
- Safety & Standards
- Dissemination and Networking